Welcome to Washington Heights
Washington Heights has always had a Jewish presence, and whilst many of the Jews who once lived here, have moved away along with the services that were once offered, there is still must to look forward to in living in this wonderful community.
- Key Food (Broadway and 187th) - they have a variety of packaged meats, chicken, etc and they also have an open deli counter that is all Kosher. All fruits and vegetables available. They will deliver to your apartment for an extra $3 if you make your purchase by 7 pm.
- Shop Rite - located in Englewood, NJ (- a 15-20 min. drive from the Heights). Much cheaper and they will pay for your toll if you spend over $100.
- Fairways – At certain times during the year the Washington Heights Inwood Jewish Council and Fairways at 126th Street provide a free shuttle down to their store. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get placed on the newsletter and get the necessary information.
- There are also the local stores that provide fresh produce, take a look around the neighborhood – you might find a few new ingredients to add to your shabbos table.
- Rite Aid - located at the corner of 186th and St. Nicholas
- Duane Reade - located at 181st and Wadsworth
- Target- located at Broadway and 225th. Right off the 1 train at 225th Street. There’s also a Marshall’s, Children’s Place, and Payless in that shopping center.
- Dry Cleaners – take a look around the neighborhood at the dry cleaners, many know about taleisim, and kittels and they are located on nearly each and every block on St Nicholas Street.
- There are washing machines in most basements of the buildings- need quarters to use the machines.
- There are also laundromats on the corner of 188th and Amsterdam, and a very large one on the corner of 184th and St Nicholas- they’re nice there and have a machine to get quarters.
- Police – (212) 927 – 9711 (34th Precinct – Located on Broadway and 182nd)
- Hatzalah – (718) 387 – 1750
- YU Security - (212) 960 - 5200
Men’s Mikvah - located at Dumbrov- 187th between Broadway and Bennett (across from Mt. Sinai) (weekdays open until 8 in the morning and on Friday opens again around chatzos)
Women’s Mikvah - located at 4351 Broadway (corner of 186th & Broadway):
(212) 923-1100 (need an appointment for Shabbos and Yom Tov only)
Keilim Mikvah - located near Breuer’s. On Bennett between 186th and 185th- there is a narrow “alley” to the back right after you pass the shul. (“Agudah”- use the numbers that correspond to the Hebrew letters”)
Community Support Resources- If you are looking for meals or other resources regarding mental health, infertility, or domestic violence, please reach out to email@example.com or click here.
Chesed - If you’d like to be on a list to make “mommy meals” for couples who have new babies, please email the Shul office.
Eruv – for a map of the Eruv you can go to yueruv.org (also contains times for last mincha and first maariv for Room 101)
You can also sign up to receive a text message with the weekly updates or at the Facebook page for the Eruv. Both resources can be found here.
Post Office - located on 180th between Audubon and St. Nicholas. You can also send packages (USPS, UPS) and buy boxes and stamps at “YU Productions” located in the basement of Belfer Hall.
Gas Station - there’s a BP station on Broadway and 186th St.
Banks - most of the banks are located down Broadway. Citibank and Apple Bank are at the corner of 181st and Broadway. There is a Chase bank on 181st St. and Wadsworth. Belfer Hall has an ATM that is free of charge, as well.
Hardware Store - New Heights Supply on the corner of 187th and St. Nicholas. They have the basics- they sell timers, etc. They can also replicate keys there.
To keep posted on current events, if you need an open apt. for shabbos, items for sale, etc., you can go to:
www.groups.yahoo.com search for a group called YU Community